25 March 2014

OSPCA Innovation Keynote focuses on reducing the cat overpopulation crisis

In January 2014, the urban animal community cast ballots to elect the 2013 Innovation Showcase speakers they believe can and should be replicated in their region. One of the winners was the Ontario SPCA’s dynamic duo of Judith Aubin, Regional Manager, Spay/Neuter Clinics, and Tanya Firmage, Director of Animal Welfare & Operations. They will once again be speaking on their success in reducing cat admissions.  InfoStream Guest Author Terri Perrin caught up with them in mid-March to get an update on their program and gain some insight on what they plan to present at the 2014 Regional Conferences in April. 

Infostream (IS): Before we get started, we always love to learn what motivates people to dedicate their careers to animal welfare. What inspires each of you to be crusaders for cats?

Judith Aubin (JA): When I was working part time at a local Humane Society while attending university, I saw the large number of cats in the shelters and, for the first time, became aware of just how many lost cats were never returned to their owners. This experience made me an advocate for promoting spay and neutering and microchipping.  I have had cats my whole life and currently just have one.

Tanya Firmage (TF):  My initial training was in the animal health industry. While I enjoyed it, 23 years ago I also had an experience with a local humane society while in college. It ignited my passion for animal welfare. I really felt that I could have an impact in changing the future… and I have never looked back! When I began this journey, I remember thinking that if I could achieved what I was setting out to do, then one day there would no longer be animals in shelters and we would have done our jobs. Seeing the shelter intake statistics decrease over the past couple of years – in particular with cats – has made me feel that I am achieving my goal. I have had many pets over the years but currently have only one dog – a 13-year-old Yorkshire terrorist!

IS: Some of our readers may not be familiar your initiatives to reduce cat admissions in OSPCA shelters. Please give us a brief overview of your program and its success.

JA: The OSPCA opened its first high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter clinics in 2009. Our clinics are based off of the Humane Alliance model which began in 1994 in North Carolina. (link lost with my editing) We currently have clinics in Newmarket, Barrie and St. Catherines. The Newmarket location performs up to 50 spay/neuter surgeries per day. The other two each perform 25 operations daily.

TF: We spay and neuter animals from OSPCA shelters and other rescue organizations and shelters, as well as publicly owned pets and feral cats from TNR programs. Since the program began, we have collectively performed over 50,000 surgeries. At any one time we will have close to 6,000 animals on our waiting list. Clients come from the local communities, as well as driving long distances to access these services. As a result of this, we started seeing a province-wide reduction in cat admissions in our shelters in early 2012, with a much more significant reduction at shelters closest to our clinics.

IS: I understand that there are 120 similar clinics in North America. How would you suggest that other organizations get started?

JA: The Humane Alliance (www.humanealliance.org) model has recommendations to ensure success. They factor in human population density and other considerations. Of course, anyone interested in starting a spay/neuter clinic is welcome to contact me. My position of Spay Neuter Regional Manager of OSPCA was recently created, as the volume of information requests and program management became a full-time job.

IS: You were part of the inaugural Innovation Showcase program, which launched in 2013/2014, and you presented at the 2013 Regional and Annual Summits for Urban Animal Strategies. Tell us a little about your respective experiences on this journey.

TF: I feel such pride in seeing these numbers go down as drastically as they have and being able to share our excitement and success with others in the industry was amazing. We always understood that spaying and neutering was part of the solution to pet overpopulation… this is proof that it makes a big difference.

JA: I didn’t know what to expect at the Regional Conference but to be included in a group that is so innovative was a real privilege and honour. I am flattered that people enjoyed our presentation and that it is being offered again, so it can be extended to more communities and so the momentum can continue across Canada.

IS: During your Innovation Showcase presentation, you declared that there might be an end in sight for the cat overpopulation crisis. Some might say that’s a pretty lofty (and unattainable) goal. Do you ever feel overwhelmed?

TF: A decade ago, yes, I absolutely felt overwhelmed. If I had heard that statement then I would have said ‘that’s really dreaming’. Today, I truly believe it and feel that this is the best time possible to be involved in animal welfare… and our program is just one of the many reasons for this. It is really comforting to see the number of communities that are reaching out for more information. It is a very different – but positive – position for municipalities and the industry to take.

IS: How important is community collaboration in this process?

TF: It is vitally important. I say this because the pet overpopulation problem is not an OSPCA problem. It is a societal problem. For community animal management strategies like this to be successful, collaboration is key.

JA: For our program we have collaborated with a large number of municipalities, veterinarians, feral cat rescues, PetSmart Charities, organizations like PetLynx, and various attendees at the Urban Animal Summits, to name a few.

IS: What can we expect from your 2014 Regional Summit Innovation Keynote presentations?

JA:  We will definitely have some more exciting information and updated statistics to share, to show the path that we are on to reduce the cat intake numbers.

TF: In addition to the stats and facts, I hope to have a couple of different things to present from the OSPCA, such as our new “iAdopt” program. It is proving to be a fun way to get adoptees together and increase the number of adoptions across the province.

IS: For our readers who want to learn more, how may they contact you?

Visit the website: www.fixyourpets.ca
Tanya Firmage: tfirmage@ospca.on.ca  905-898-7122 ext. 336
Judith Aubin: jaubin@ospca.on.ca   705-627-4838 

IS: Any final thoughts or comments?

JA: I am really excited to present the new numbers and explain where this is going, as well as to hear other innovative ideas. It makes me want to get involved in all of them, even though I have to stay focused on my job!


TF: I am looking forward to getting others on board to see how they can replicate our program and work towards the same goal of reducing cat admissions and, ultimately, ending the cat crisis in Canada.


No comments:

Post a Comment