03 July 2015

INTERVIEW: Linda Townsend - Innovation Showcase Scholarship Applicant

Linda and Charlie
Linda Townsend was inspired to start Muddy Paws Adventures after seeing the effects of hiking on her own dog, Charlie. Along with improved fitness, the more time her otherwise timid rescue dog spent on the trails, the more he turned into a confident, trusting canine. Using her passion for the outdoors, nature and all things four-legged, Linda created a dog hiking service that feeds the souls of her clients and provides peace of mind for their humans.

InfoStream (IS): Your passion for dogs is evident; tell us about how this came to be.  

Linda Townsend (LT): I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t passionate about dogs or any animal for that matter.  I didn’t come from parents who were animal lovers and I had to beg to  have a hamster when I was a kid.  Growing up, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents who had a German Shepherd named Reika. He wasn’t overly friendly or trustworthy with most people, but I was bound and determined to make him my best friend despite the several warnings he gave me.  I started walking him everyday after school and eventually his indifference turned to the loyalty one would expect from a German Shepherd.  It wasn’t until 15 years later that I finally was able to get my own dog - a German Shepherd named Rudy that looked just like Reika.

IS: What in your history has taken you to where you are now?  

LT: For close to 20 years,  I worked for a  great company that provided me all the opportunities in the world, but with it came two hours of commuting every day and the guilt of leaving my dog home alone for a 10 hour stretch.   I wanted a lifestyle that would energize me, not one that left me feeling so drained that I couldn’t entertain the thought of  taking my dog for a much deserved walk.  Deciding to leave behind the security of my career meant taking a major leap outside of my comfort zone creating a whole new world of doubt and fears.  I spent many hours hiking with my dog Charlie contemplating what my new life would look like if I wasn’t heading into the office every day.  Every time the fears and doubts about my decision starting creeping in, I would throw on my boots, call Charlie and head for the trails behind our property. After an hour or so of connecting with nature and watching Charlie live his life to the fullest, I returned home reconnected to my commitment to find more balance in my own life. While I was getting my own life sorted out on the trails, I noticed Charlie making his own transformation.  Along with improved fitness,  my otherwise timid beagle/lab cross was turning into a confident, trusting canine.  As he got better at sniffing out squirrels and manoeuvring at high speeds through brush and fallen trees, his nervous accidents disappeared and he began greeting strangers with a wagging tail. Obviously all of this hiking had mind-body-spirit benefits for the both of us and  understanding all too well the pet owner’s guilt of not having the energy or time to take your dog for a walk, I decided to create  Muddy Paws Adventures.

IS: What is the main focus of the Muddy Paws Adventures?

LT: Muddy Paws Adventures has two objectives - to feed the souls of our canine clients and to provide peace of mind for their humans.  If you could ask any dog what is better than being off the grid free to explore with a pack of other well socialized dogs, they would tell you nothing! As for my clients, they are all  middle class folks who work hard for their money and love their dogs.  I consider it a huge responsibility to be entrusted with their dogs’ well being and always make sure they get their money’s worth.

IS: What is most rewarding about Muddy Paws Adventures; what makes it all worthwhile?

LT: There are a few things…
  1. The excitement of the dogs when I pick them up for their hike.  It’s like they’ve won the lottery every time.  
  2. Equally rewarding is the social enterprise I’ve been able to create through Muddy Paws adventures - Trails N’ Tail.  Last year, our charity hike raised $2000 for animal rescue and Paws Fur Thought  (see question 8 for more info).
The connections and partnerships I’ve made with people in my community and beyond.

IS: What feedback have you received regarding hike pictures on Facebook?  

LT: It’s amazing the number of people who are not even clients that look forward to seeing those photos posted. There is something therapeutic about looking at photos of a pack of happy dogs running through a field, swimming in a river or jumping over a fallen tree in the woods.  Imagine how therapeutic it is when you get to be with them on the hike!

IS: Are owners ever able to join their dog(s) on hikes?

LT: Yes!  I welcome all humans on our hikes with a donation to one of our favourite canine related charities.  The only prerequisite is that you love dogs, have some good hiking footwear and have enough energy to keep up with a pack of high energy dogs for 90 minutes.   

IS: To maximize success, what requirements do you have for dogs before they begin hiking?

LT: A Muddy Paws dog must be good off leash, have fairly good recall and be social with other dogs.  It’s also best if the dogs are in fairly good shape to prevent injury.  

IS: Tell us about your hikes to support Paws Fur Thought. What other fundraising does Muddy Paws Adventures do?  

LT: I’ve included my blog below with all the details on our Trails N’ Tails  Charity Hike.  

A Walk In The Park For Those Whose Life Isn’t
Last September, over 50 dogs and almost twice as many humans rubbed noses at the inaugural Trails N’     Tails charity hike raising over $2000 for canine rescue and veterans living with PTSD in need of service dogs.

This year, tails are wagging as Muddy Paws Adventures teams up with the Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia to raise funds for their First Responder PTSD Service Dog Initiative.

The Foundation, in partnership with military veteran and PTSD service dog advocate Medric Cousineau (Paws Fur Thought), launched the initiative in November 2014  and has since raised enough funds to match 32 service dogs with first responders in need.

This year’s Trails N’ Tails charity hike takes place on Saturday September 19th. The 60 minute nature hike will weave through some of Hants County’s most picturesque trails in Uniacke Estate Museum Park, a perfect place to enjoy the great outdoors with your favourite canine. Participants have the option to make a donation or collect pledges.   In addition to helping first responders, proceeds from the on-site BBQ, draws and games will  go towards local animal rescue.

Along with raising funds for our favourite canine related causes, Trails N’ Tails is designed to expose the mental health benefits of spending time in nature and the therapeutic advantages of dogs.

More information may be found here.

IS: Is there anything else you would like us to know?  

LT: Just a little shout out to my Inspiration behind Muddy Paws Adventures, Charlie Dog -  2004-2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment